Our clients have a large rear garden, the majority of which is on ground level and part of which is on the basement level adjoining the kitchen and family area. Their desire is to be able to readily use the outdoor space directly from the kitchen and to remove the current artificial lawn, which becomes sodden and damp in the winter months and so hot in the summer so as not to be able to go barefoot. A large playhouse took up much of the space and, with the children now older, they wanted to maximise this space as an extension of their kitchen.
Our solution was to raise the outside floor level by building a deck that matches the interior height and therefore connects both the indoor and outdoor space. We also planned to use the under-stair space and build a water-resistant and secure storage area, as well as raised garden beds with wooden baton bench seating.
To design a garden lighting theme and to soften the whole garden area we created a planting theme, sourced the plants and carried out the planting. The brief for the plants was that they would be structural and easily maintained. This final touch helped create an inviting and practical solution for their needs.
‘Between The Commons’ Project Process:
- Create clear and concise landscape designs.
- Remove artificial lawn and children’s playhouse.
- Build raised planter bed and build seating area containing wooden bench.
- Build bespoke wooden under stair storage area.
- Design and install the garden lighting system including under-seat LEDs.
- Decorate walls, plant beds and apply a colour stain to the wooden finishes to match the interior woodwork.
- Lay a new composite deck to complement the interior.
- Fill plant beds, source plants and carry out planting.
Build time: Between 25 and 30 working days. Cost Guide: Between 20 and 25K
Before and After
If you live in the Wandsworth or Clapham page, why not see what we can do to your garden today? Visit our enquiries page here for quotes and information about the landscaping and garden renovation services we can provide.
And if you want to be a part of a project like this in the future, then take a look at our careers page to see all of our available roles.